A Guide to maintaining flat roofs
No part of your building should be neglected during the routine management practices that should be regularly carried out. The following practices are highly recommended
The initial design of the roof should be used as a guide for the future use. If it has not been built to withstand weight of people, then no parties or gatherings should be held on the roof.
There should be a regular inspection to detect any weakened areas of the roof.
Care should be taken to ensure the safety of any engineer who will carry out the regular roof inspections.
Some important features that must be regularly checked are:
It is important to ensure that the gutters and other outlets are free from debris.
- The recorded sizes for the puddles and blisters should be compared with the previous records to know if they are increasing in size.
- Another important part of the roof that should be regularly checked is the up stand and adjacent provisions. They should be repaired if there are any problems.
A professional roofing contractor must be consulted if the problems are discovered in these parts of the roof:
- Protective finish (remedy bare patches as necessary)
- Upstands and flashing (check condition)
- Joints (check condition)
- Edge Trims (check condition)
- Sagging of decks and/or joists (check condition)
The attention of an experienced roofing contractor must be drawn to any observations that indicate a problem with any of these roofing parts. This is important to prevent any further deterioration.
Is it enough to carry out a repair?
In a situation where the guarantee period for the roofing project done has expired, there are many alternative methods that can be used to temporarily resolve the problems until a new roofing can be installed.
These factors will determine if you should seriously consider entirely changing the roof on your building:
- An ageing roof will show signs of immense distress. This roof should be changed as soon as it is possible.
- If the roof has consistently been subjected to repairs at a particular part, there will be no need to change the entire roofing.
- To enjoy the benefits of a good installation, you should consider changing the roof.
- The new roofing project must include a good thermal insulation as advised in the building regulations.
- The following observations discovered after a good inspection should warrant the changing of a roof.
- Signs of deterioration caused by condensation or heavy weight on the roof.
- Structural errors that cause the splitting of the membrane at the deck boards.
- splitting of the membrane around the perimeter, this is caused by the movement between the walls and roof.
- A discovery that indicates an increase in the size of roof blisters caused by a leakage or condensation.
- An increased movement of the upstands usually caused by the inadequacy of the used materials to withstand the movement.
- Damage to the membrane caused by sharp clips. Another error usually made by amateurs is the use of bond bases as an adhesive to fasten the cables during the repair of damaged membranes.
Get In Touch
97 High Road
01992 731 007